Thursday, August 18, 2011

Moving to Singapore


I have seldom stayed long in a place ever since I left my hometown. Every few years, I pack some stuff into a Suitcase, reach a new place and hope to begin a new life. When it is time to leave (inevitable), I realize my suitcase has grown several folds, and I have to disperse this excess baggage. What follow are Garage sales, throwaways, gifts to friends/college juniors/housemaids, and eventually the last resort - packing away tons of stuff to my parents, who have mercifully, been less mobile, and who always welcome the stuff piled up over the years.
So it was this time too, when I chose to finally leave Mumbai, and move to Singapore. This time, the amount of stuff to be moved was massive - I had stayed, without knowing, 5 long years in Mumbai. These were years in which I had money to spend (unlike student days), had got married, and taken up much bigger houses than single rooms of earlier times. So even after days of selling and disposing stuff, I sent 47 packets home with Agarwal Packers & Movers! When they arrived at home in Jaipur (I was there to witness the catastrophe!), I was aghast at the mess. The movers kept bringing the boxes, and soon I thought Mom and I would get engulfed in brown boxes, never to be found again. Well somehow we managed (rather mom did as I watched from my sickbed, occasionally lifting a finger), and by the time my father arrived in the evening, there was no trace of the boxes and the chaos of the afternoon.

So I arrived here, in Singapore, with yet another suitcase. A few clothes, a few shoes, a few books and a few DVDs - essential moving stuff. (Leaving my collection of books behind at home was the hardest part, and the pain hit me anew when I entered the grand bookstore of Singapore: Kinokuniya at Takashimaya mall, and looked at the book prices. ).
In Singapore, the acceptable trend is to let out well-furnished apartments - it is often difficult to find an unfurnished place. Suits me in my current transient state, though it does impose quite a few restrictions. For instance, the microwave, the oven and the Wine cellar are all knitted together in a fixed space. To buy a new microwave which suits my needs better, will require a series of approvals - from the owner, followed by the apartment contractor, followed by the building committee (and I am sure followed by a Govt authority somewhere, which seems to involve itself on a macro level with public life)
Whatever I have seen of this city/country, the one defining feature that leaps out is Consumerism. I have rarely seen people who would be caught dead with a simple phone (which is any phone other than iphone), or without an LVMH/Channel/Prada bag on their shoulders. In the MRT (metro rail), the madness to consume is most prominent. Faces are buried in ipads, iphones, and the air is heavy with an amalgamation of perfume. The ugly LVMH logo stares out from all directions. As you walk through Orchard Road, the main shopping district, you see people queuing up outside the Channel store, or waiting patiently to get their Louis Vitton. In a coffee shop, sitting on a table which does not have an ipad or a mac is almost embarrassing. Heaven save you if you have some other brand of laptop/tablet. And anywhere in the city, if you are clicking pictures using a point-and-shoot, you will be forced to wonder if it is an unwritten rule to use 'DSLR only',

So when they say life in Singapore is easy, it is true to a good extent. There are some standard formats you can adopt for your life and live happily. You don't have to exert yourself in making choices - you know which phone to buy and what purse to carry. If I ask two people, I will also know the approved shoes and dresses. As a vegetarian I do not even need to exert myself in choosing food, simply have to pick out of the 2-3 options on the menu. Commuting is easy - the MRT is convenient, and safe. Located amidst many beautiful countries, Singapore is also a great place to travel from. I am told Bintan and Batam (Indonesian islands) are less than 40 minutes away by ferry, Malaysia is an hour's drive away.

It is also a place friendly to walkers, and I simply love that. No matter where you are, you will find a walkway. Despite the warm weather, it is lovely to take evening/night walks near the river, with the city twinkling in many lights, all of them playfully reflected in the river. My favorite spot, which I have recently discovered is the walkway at Stadium (Singapore Indoor stadium).

So I think I can very much get used to staying here. And also that it is early for impressions.

17 comments:

zatomm said...

Oh! Just when I was beginning to get to know you better. :-(

Gaurav 'Khanna' Jain said...

This was pretty interesting post. shifting to SG from mumbai so stumble upon this post.

Smith Diano said...

That is so awesome. I’m so glad you had a good experience. We all miss you here though so don’t get too comfortable.
House Movers Singapore

Danica said...

This photo is really interesting! I'm looking forward that I'll be working in Singapore someday.

Mariya Smith said...

Excellent publish and too outstanding ,i really appreciate studying it.

http://www.eunikeliving.com/part-time-house-cleaning

Tony Blaze said...

Shifting is not an easy task you must need some one who is perfect in this like we are..:)
Singapore Movers

Robby Jem said...

Exactly its not an easy task but recently i relocate to Singapore and in my relocation process international movers played a key role they guys just amazing in moving service.
Mover Singapore

Joe Sheff said...

i was looking for a local moving company in Singapore and finally found adv-delivery great service for house and office moving.
Home Movers

mover said...

Dear add some more content regarding

movers san jose
.Thanks for posting this stuff over the net.

hari m said...

Informative post The best thing is that your blog really informative and critical You can also get best transportation and moving service packers and movers madhapur

kalyan arr said...


This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. packers and movers kukatpally .

Carton Box said...

Carton Box Rental is the first carton boxes manufacturer and supplier in Singapore, We supply new or used Storage Boxes, moving boxes, packing supplies, shipping boxes and packaging materials of good quality and at an affordable price.

hari sh said...

It is very informative post for the blog and it is provided nice information. Thanks you. packers and movers Bangalore marathahalli . packers and movers in bangalore movers and packers hyderabad

Ari sh said...

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. movers and packers in hsr layout movers and packers in marathahalli movers and packers in btm layout movers and packers in bommanahalli movers and packers in koramangala movers and packers in jp nagar

john thomas said...

Thank You for sharing your Moving Experience...Movers

sai sahar said...

This a very informative post and i am waiting for your next post.
Packers and Movers Madhapur

Jissa said...

Thank you for sharing the information here. And if you are looking for the best relocating and logistics support can benefit through our Frigate Logistics and Movers Pte Ltd. For detailed information you may choose from our

Relocation Services Singapore

Warehouse in Singapore

Cheapest Movers in Singapore