Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Last Samurai @ Conversational Reading

At Conversational Reading, a rather interesting blog on World Literature, a second book read is happening. Their last book read was Javier Marias' famous trilogy'Your Face Tomorrow' - and it was this book read that prompted me to pick up the book myself.
The current read is an interesting book by an American Author Helen Dewitt, called The Last Samurai. The book is about a single mother, bringing up a child prodigy. Her methods of bringing him up are unique - to provide male role models for the fatherless child, she uses Akiro Kurosawa's Seven Samaurais. For keeping him occupied she asks him to mark words from different languages.
In the first few pages that I have read so far, it looks like a very interesting read - tied with anecdotes and references, which is lately becoming a popular trend in the books I have been reading.
It is a book a little hard to lay hands on in the Indian book-store, but since Conversational Reading gave enough notice, I ordered a copy from Flipkart.

4 comments:

Sunil said...

Had a quick look at the site. Do you all read a book at the same time and post individual thoughts as you read along ? I always wanted to start such a book site - either for some book or different books read by readers. I reckon reading and sharing realtime thoughts gives more insight about the book.

Sunil

Madhuri said...

Sunil, this is exactly what is happening - a book is being read simultaneously by a group of people who keep posting their views/comments as they read along.
I have done this only once before and the group was only 2 regular readers, but it was insightful. When are you starting this site?

Sunil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunil said...

t depends on how many people would be interested? I think it would be better if it diverse. I thought about this while running a book group in a local library because I found we tend to judge a book by remembering excerpts of our own reading experience than the 'whole' book. I was keen to find out if these experiences were documented and shared , would it alter our perception and eventual 'memory' of the book.

Such an endeavour online is easier as it is convenient and accessible easily. And most important of all there isn't any obligation of any sort - in terms of frequency or quality. It just a big dump field of realtime journaling of reading experiences. Okay, let me create an account and send out a few invites, let's see how many takers we'll find?

Sunil